Created: Friday, 31 May 2002 Written by maxENDLESS WAR, ALL CHANNELS, ALL DAY, EVERY DAY!
As the violence, horror and despair factor rises exponentially in that most unhappy land, XENOX NEWS' raving reporter MAX GROSS notes a few pithy facts for digestion by anyone interested in what keeps the "terrorist" ball in play. Did you know:
* non-Jewish Israelis cannot buy or lease land in Israel?
* Palestinian license plates in Israel are color-coded to distinguish Jews from non-Jews?
* Jerusalem, both East and West, is considered by the entire world community, including the United States, to be occupied territory and NOT part of Israel?
* Israel allots 85% of the water resources for Jews and the remaining 15% is divided among all Palestinians in the territories? For example in Hebron, 85% of the water is given to about 400 settlers, while 15% must be divided among Hebron's 120,000 Palestinians?
* the United States awards Israel $5 billion in aid each year?
* yearly US aid to Israel exceeds the aid the US grants to the whole African continent?
* Israel is the only country in the Middle East that has nuclear weapons?
* Israel is the only country in the Middle East that refuses to sign the nuclear non-proliferation treaty and bars international inspections from its sites?
* Israel stands in defiance of 69 United Nations Security Council Resolutions?
* Israel currently occupies territories of two sovereign nations (Lebanon and Syria) in defiance of United Nations Security Council Resolutions?
* Israel has for decades routinely sent assassins in to other countries to kill its political enemies?
* high-ranking military officers in the Israeli Defense Forces have admitted publicly that unarmed prisoners of war were executed by the IDF?
* Israel refuses to prosecute its soldiers who have acknowledged executing prisoners of war?
* Israel routinely confiscates bank accounts, businesses, and land and refuses to pay compensation to those who suffer the confiscation?
* Israel blew up an American diplomatic facility in Egypt and attacked a U.S. ship in international waters, killing 33 and wounding 177 American sailors?
* the second most powerful lobby in the United States, according to a recent Fortune magazine survey of Washington insiders, is the Israeli AIPAC?
* Israel sits on the former sites of more than 400 now-vanished Palestinian villages, and that the Israeli's re-named almost every physical site in the country to cover up the traces?
* it was not until 1988 that Israelis were barred from running "Jews Only" job ads?
* four prime ministers of Israel (Begin, Shamir, Rabin, and Sharon) have taken part in either bomb attacks on civilians, massacres of civilians, or forced expulsions of civilians from their villages?
* Israeli Foreign Ministry pays two American public relations firms to promote Israel to Americans?
* Sharon's coalition government includes a party Molodet, which advocates expelling all Palestinians from the occupied territories?
* Israel's settlement-building increased in the eight years since Oslo?
* settlement building under Barak doubled compared to settlement building under Netanyahu?
* the Palestinians have already accepted Israel's existence on 78% of what was Palestine.
* despite a ban on torture by Israel's High Court of Justice, torture has continued by Shin Bet interrogators on Palestinian prisoners?
* Palestinian refugees make up the largest portion of the refugee population in the world?
* in 1967 there were only 3 Jewish settlement camps, whereas today there are more than 195?
* extra items for Israel are buried in the budgets of the Pentagon and other federal agencies? There were $1.271 billion in extras in FY 1993, $355.3 million in FY 1996 and $525.8 million in FY 1997. These represent an average increase of 12.2 percent over the officially recorded foreign aid totals for the same fiscal years. It's reasonable to assume, therefore, that a similar 12.2 percent hidden increase has prevailed over all of the years Israel has received aid.
* Israel receives its annual foreign aid appropriation during the first month of the fiscal year, instead of in quarterly instalments as do other recipients? This enables Israel to invest the money in U.S. Treasury notes. That means that the U.S., which has to borrow the money it gives to Israel, pays interest on the money it has granted to Israel in advance, while at the same time Israel is collecting interest on the money.
Sound fair to you?
This was MAX GROSS for XENOX NEWS, examining ear wax and navel fluff.